Gaylord Building200 W. 8th St.
George Gaylord owned what is now known as the Gaylord Building during the late 1870s and early 1880s. The building we know today was built originally in 1838 as a warehouse for canal contractors’ equipment, and it was converted to a grain warehouse by George Martin after the canal opened. However, Martin went bankrupt in 1878, and Gaylord took over the store and grain business until he passed away in 1886.
In the early 1980’s, the building had fallen into disrepair until it was purchased by Gaylord Donnelly, a descendant of George Gaylord, who then renovated the building. The Gaylord Building was declared a National Trust Historic Site in 1996.